Writing

I've been doing a lot of writing lately and one thing I came up with the other day was a piece on regret. I know it's not good to go through life with tons of regrets and I don't have that many, but I have made a few decisions that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Decisions I wish I hadn't made. I'm sure we all have one or two. Some things just weigh on us heavier then others.

I told myself I was going to share more of my writing with others. (the few that actually read my blog). And it's okay if other people don't understnad or connect with it. That isn't the point of ones own writing. It's for me.. and it's just a bonus if it speaks to another's soul. So... here is "Do-Over"

Do-Over

If I could go back
To a certain place and time
And in one split second
Make a different choice
Would I
We all have regrets
Decisions made we wish we hadn’t
But then there is the fear
Would I be somewhere else
Then I am today
The choices we make
Take us down roads
I guess that is where remorse really comes into play
Do we risk where we are
For a chance to make amends
To take away pain we may have caused
Or do we believe
In fate
And destiny
And know we will end up
Where we are supposed to
Yes
If I could I would
Go back and choose differently
I wouldn’t be selfish
I would put myself in others shoes
As I do now
Not a day goes by
Where I don’t think
Of what my actions have done
Will I ever be able to say I’m sorry
No
That’s what breaks my heart even more
She’ll never know
My words could never do my feelings justice
If only I could take it back

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
So glad you found me! I can't wait to be a regular reader of Simple Thingz and get to know you better. Thank you also, for your comment on mine and your encouragement. Great writing and I totally connect with your "Do-over". I have a lot of wishes for do-overs...
Anonymous said…
I just read your comment and had to come over to tell you two things...
1. My sister that I wrote about today has been married for about 6 years now, and they have not been able to have the child they so desperately want. She miscarried three times one year, and it racked our entire family... I personally have not experienced that pain, but I've walked through it with her, so I have a little tiny bit of understanding.
Also, a sweet friend of mine lost her baby last fall, too... she was a month old, and she had a heart defect. Little Leah also died in her mother's arms.
You are not alone, and I think it's a wonderful spirit you have to write and share your journey.

2. Your post today reminded me a lot of a song, "I Don't Know," by Third Day. Have you heard it? Check it out on itunes, if you haven't... I love that song! And I did "get" your poetry. :)

Jen
Mari said…
I found you through your comment on Gathering Grace. I haven't gone through what you did but my sister did, and because we are really close it was very difficult. I just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you and Josh. I have really enjoyed your blog and your writing style. I'll be back!
Kari said…
Beautiful job, Deb! Your writing is very powerful. Looks like you've got some new readers, too ;)
Carolyn Hansen said…
That was beautiful. Thanks for being brave enough to share your writing.
Earen said…
I found your blog through your comment on "the best days of our lives" and enjoy your writing. I'm a new blogger and am finding myself addicted already. Thanks for sharing your heart and know that we all have regrets and things we wish we hadn't done. You're not alone.

I really like the layout of your blog too!