The Picture On The Wall



I saw this picture the other day, and it immediately reminded me of something...

This is a great childhood memory of mine:

When I was little (elementary school age) and we lived at 520 S. Roosevelt in Boise, I had a picture in my room hanging on the wall. It was of a little white house with flowers and trees in the yard. And every night my dad would come in, sit on the side of my bed, and tell me a story to get me to fall asleep. So he started making up story lines that took place INSIDE the picture, hanging on my wall. I thought it was so brilliant. I think the girl who lived in the house was named Martha. (but seeing as I have Alzheimer's now, I can't be for sure on that) Every night, my dad would make something new up, or "continue" the story from the night before. I remember being totally captivated by his words and sometimes, too excited to fall asleep. Martha would have great adventures, and yummy food to eat that her mom would put in a little pale ( yes, a little "Laura Ingals" but cute nontheless). And she was friends with all the animals in the forest.

So when I saw this painting it made me think of my dad and the stories he used to tell me about the picture hanging on my wall. What a great imagination he had... and what a beautiful memory for him to plant in my mind. It's something I will carry on with my kids.

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
Every little girl tries to live "inside" a picture. I know I have. This is very sweet - thank you for sharing. What nice memories you have of your dad.
Kari said…
What a fun memory of your time with your dad! Too bad you can't go back and write the stories down ... with your bad memory, and all ;)