The History of A House...



Random Friday thoughts...

This gorgeous house is a few blocks from our house. Every time I drive passed it (which is every day)... I sigh... because I love it to much. I love the color, I love the design, the landscaping, everything. And I REALLY love the bench on the front porch. You have NO idea how hard it is to not walk down there during the middle of the night and steal it. If I wasn't afraid of going to jail, I would ! I've seen the inside too and it's cute (I work for a real estate company and this house is for sale and I know the MLS number on it so I can see the goods. It's almost $400,000 by the way) Our house is cute too and I will post pictures one day, but right now, the yard is a mess and I'm embarrassed.

But... we live in Old Town Heber in the cottage district. Most of the homes are the originals, with updates of course, but old homes nonetheless. Our house for instance, is 110 years old. The outside and inside aesthetics have been remodeled, but the structure is still old (safe though). We love old homes as opposed to newer ones. (but still plan on building our dream home some day). But when I think of our house, the cute green house down the street and any other old home, I become fascinate with the history. I think about who used to live here. What they were like, what they wore, how they made a living, did they have good, happy times in our homes or did something terrible happen. I have mixed feelings about the house we live in now.I hear "noises" all the time from the upstairs. Josh thinks I'm crazy but I have a very good vibe about most things. So my thought is that whoever lived in our house, had a hard life. And if I think about ghosts or spirits walking around, I always envision a woman in a long skirt. Don't ask me why. I don't get a scary feeling, but just a feeling that sometimes, we're not alone. That stuff is so interesting to me. When we went on our honeymoon we stayed in little bed & Breakfast's , (one of which I felt a very strong presence in our room ) and in one town we stayed in a very old hotel ( again, remodeled ), but as I walked around, I would run my hand along the banister and look at all the old pictures, or sit in our room and wonder who else stayed there. We learned, that place was definitely haunted. There was a picture of the old workers and their families and everyone's face was clear and in focus except one little girl. Her face was blurry for some reason. ( WEIRD ) And guests have actually said they have seen ghosts walking around and odd things happening to their belongings and doors shutting etc... It was a little nerve wracking, but still... totally interesting to me.

I guess it's the romantic in me. I love hearing stories of how other people lived in different times. I wish I would have been a teenager in the 50's. That would be the perfect time frame to suit my personality.

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
We lived in a 1928 California Bungalow in an historic district in our city for 3 years. The house was only 1050 sq feet, but I LOVED it. We had to move b/c we ran out of room (we have the two girls), but I always wanted to live in that house. When I pass it now, I feel sad b/c loud crazy college students live there now and they have kinda ruined it. I understand your "random Friday thoughts" =)
Mari said…
I so know what you are talking about. That house has "character". I love to think about the history of houses - who lived there, what happened... I have also said I should have been a kid in the 50's. I did come closer to that then you did - I was born in 1960, but the 60's were a mess!
Kari said…
There is a lot of charm to be found in old houses. I personally love my newer home but can definitely appreciate the detail and craftmanship found in older homes :)