A Lost Art...Hand Written Letters




As I was addressing a card to our dear friends the other day, I thought to myself... when was the last time I received a hand written letter in the mail box? I couldn't remember. What happened to the days of sitting at our desk, pulling out a fountain pen, our favorite stationary paper, and writing a full on LETTER ? Today's society is all about text messaging, instant messaging, light speed email and faxes. Where has the effort gone into real communication. I have boxes full of letters written to me over the years (Mainly from my Grandma Laney). I feel like it's a lost art. I know people are busy, but come on. Where has our sense of romance gone? Even if it's not a LOVE letter being written, I think writing an actual letter with beautiful penmanship is such a conscious display of thoughtfulness. Even an ordinary handwritten note, can be better then the best email. And a good handwritten note, on the right occasion can be a work of art. Receiving a letter is like listening to Miles Davis instead of Metallica. It's like making a gift instead of ordering a product, or like taking a walk instead of driving. It says to the reader, "You matter to me. I thought of you." There is also the anticipation of receiving a letter. You patiently wait, go to the mailbox every day to see it it's there yet... and then when it does arrive, they can save it in a special box and re-read the letter and think good thoughts of you. It's courteous, classy and caring to pick up a pen. Make the time... it will be well received !!

Comments

Earen said…
Thank you for your nice note today on my blog & for writing about letters! Yes, it's definitely a lost art. I admit..everyday I go to the mailbox in hopes that there might be an unexpected card from a friend. That's another reason I love my birthday & Christmas so much...you get so much wonderful mail.

How special that someone surprised you with a Gracie necklace. I have read your blogs & gathered that something very difficult was taking place in your life & put two & two together that it was probably something with children. I'm SO very, very sorry about your loss. I can't even pretend to know what you felt & are probably still feeling with this loss...but our Heavenly Father knows what you feel & how best to comfort you & now Gracie is rejoicing in heaven with him! My thoughts & prayers are with you..
kelly said…
this is something i definitely need to do more often. i am absolutely terrible at sending out letters and cards. it always brightens my day when i find something good in the mail, i really need to start doing it more often.
Kari said…
I am extremely guilty of this ... thanks for reminding me ;) Your post was perfectly written so I can't say much more, but you reminder was so true ... THANKS!
Sarah Markley said…
I am really with you on this. I love writing and recieving letters - its been awhile; most of us would rather just email, i think. You've inspired me. =)