What's My Name & Where Am I ?



Okay... here's the thing... I think I'm losing my mind. Well, at least my memory. How young can a person be before the signs of Alzheimer's start to show? (seriously, if anyone knows... fill me in) The picture above is from my good friend Kari's wedding over 10 years ago. That's me on the left w/ curly hair (man, I miss my natural curl), Kasey in the middle and the lovely bride Kari on the right. That is definitely me in the picture... so WHY DO I HAVE NO MEMORY OF THAT DAY ?. It makes me feel horrible that I can't remember Kari's special day, and it, quite frankly, really worries me that I am forgetting so many great things from my past. And it's not just Kari's wedding. I have friends bring up old stories all the time and I'm smiling and nodding some of the time and the other time I'm saying "What the heck are you talking about? I don't remember that". Josh and I will have a conversation about something and a week later, I won't remember when he brings it up again. Do I have selective memory? Am I blocking things out for a reason? Am I in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's? Josh laughs, but it is tinted w/ concern. This is just another reason we should all keep journals so if we DO forget, we can go back and "read" our life. I also am going to start a "story of my life". I want to start with my birth and childhood and keep going until now. And over the years... add to it. I want to leave this for my children to have after Josh and I are long gone. I think that would be such a lovely memory to leave them. But... I better do it quickly ! At the rate I'm going... I won't remember anything !

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've had a few moments like that, forgetting entire conversations and the like, and it is a little scarey! I have kept a journal for many years, and it is funny to read things and realize, "this isn't the way I remember it..." but we know which way MUST be correct! So, be heartened. Stop drinking diet cokes, if you do.:) They're infamous for memory loss, I've heard, ha ha! At this stage in the game, I wouldn't worry... early onset alzheimer's is rare, and YOUR case would be REALLY early, I think!
Kasey said…
Don't you remember eating lunch at the Lion House and wondering where Steve and Kari were while we were waiting to be served?? :)
Kari said…
Deb, it's okay ... I don't remember much of that day either ;)