Marriage: Tuesday Emotions

I saw this Marriage/Emotions thing on a couple different blogs, and as I was thinking of something to talk about today; Josh has been on my mind a lot since he left the house this morning. So I thought the whole Marriage/Emotions thing was fitting. (even though, I think on the other blogs, they call it Marriage Monday:Emotions, but I'm doing it on Tuesday)

Last night Josh told me he had an important meeting today with the big wigs from Salt Lake and in this meeting, Other's along w/ Josh's job description/duties would be changed, yet again. Let me preface by saying Josh LOVES working for the Forest Service. He went to school for this so he could make a difference for other nature lovers like himself. He cares about the environment and he works hard to preserve it. But...that does not mean he doesn't get frustrated with the politics that go on in the Government (HELLO... don't get ME started on the Government ). And how easy it is for the "big wigs" to sit in their fancy offices and make decisions that don't effect them at all. (I wonder why they are even working for the Forest Service because a lot of the decisions they are making are not helping the land and the people who love it). They take away funding that has been promised, they cut positions which leave less people to get things done.... it goes on and on. But Josh sticks with it because he knows what he's doing will help the people and the land. And one day soon, when he reaches GS level 11 ( he's a GS 9 right now and his next promotion will be to an 11) he will be able to make the same decisions some of the big wigs are making. It might cause him to be in the office more, but at least his decisions will be final. (and he will find a way to get outdoors and still do the hands-on work, because he loves it). So I am anxiously waiting to hear what was discussed in the meeting. We have a feeling they are going to tell Josh he will not only be in charge of the Kamas wilderness, but also the Heber wilderness as well. Two different Districts. Doing the work load for two people. Going back and forth between Kamas and Heber. (but not getting a pay increase of course... TYPICAL !) And he's not stressed about it. He knows he can do it. But he's just frustrated in general with how things are going.

He came in the bedroom this morning to give me a kiss and say goodbye, just like every morning. But as he was walking out the door, he said "I woke up feeling kind of depressed today". This made me sit straight up and say "Honey, come here". I threw my arms around his neck and said "I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. But we will get through this". It's not often that my husband expresses feelings of frustration. He is, in fact, a pretty sensitive (yet, burly hippy, wood chopping, bearded) man. But this morning, I could just tell that he was worn out inside. I hate to see someone I love more then anything, hurting.

It's amazing how different men and women are in so many ways. Especially when it comes to emotions (hence the whole reason for this blog post). Josh and I are both stubborn. And when I say both of us, I mean Josh is a little, and I am A LOT !! Much to the detriment of my husband. Sometimes I feel I'm justified in my stubbornness... and other times... I'm just being stubborn. But one thing I have come to realize is how important it is to KNOW your spouse. And with most good and solid marriages, when there is a "tiff" or one or the other is being a pain in the you know what... there is never any doubt that you will move beyond it. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm emotional. I'm passionate. And my husband knows how to deal with me. Just as I know how to deal with him (although I have to admit his job in dealing with me is much harder then mine is in dealing with him). I love the balance that is in our marriage. When one of us is down, the other lifts them up. We know how to let the other one vent, and when to say "that's enough". And when I'm being horribly ornery, or Josh is being difficult about something, the love between us never falters. We keep each other grounded and remind each other of what's really important to us in our marriage. While we have trials.... we have even more triumphs... that's us... the Jurgensens'...

A small (and funny) example of Josh's love for me last night:

Deb: I'm in the mood to tickle someone.
Josh: Honey, I'm really not in the mood. I've had a hard day today.
Deb: (pouting) But I like to tickle you. It makes ME feel happy.
Josh: Okay, you can tickle me.

Now if that aint' simple and pure love... I don't know what is.

Josh.. It's disgusting how much I love you :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your last example is very familiar to me... here's another one:

Me, lying in bed: "I'm cold."
John, getting up to get a blanket... :)

and another...
Me, sitting on the sofa: "I need a coke."
John, with not a word, getting up to get me one...

and, on another day:
John: "Hey, honey, can you get me a coke? Ha! Just kidding!" :) My sister got a big laugh out of that one!

Yes, "it's disgusting how much they love us." Those are some good men, right there! And yes, we love them, too, don't we? (I try to be a good wife to him, but he'll beat me every time because, lets face it - HE'S NICER THAN ME! :) )

Hope the meeting went well. This is how I feel about government:
"less is more." ;)

Jen
Kari said…
There's nothing disgusting about your love for Josh ... it is exactly as it should be :) A wonderful reminder about the importance of balance in our relationships. And I agree that Steve's job of putting up with my and my high maintenance ways is WAY harder than me putting up with his "everything will be fine" attitude!
Sarah Markley said…
Not disgusting or corny...just real! =)