Daily Bread




I saw this photo on another blog (Gathering Grace-find in my list of blogs) and it immediately took me back to my Grandma & Grandpa Laney's house. This pictures has been hanging in their dining room for years. I will always think of them when I see this print. It touches me. It humbles me. How can you not think of giving thanks when you look at this photo.

As Josh came home last night. I watched him from inside the house. Busy picking the tomatoes in the garden. Then moving on to gathering the wood, piling it up waiting to be chopped. It was raining and his clothes were soaked. He was so tired from his long day at work. It hadn't been a good day for him at all. The grant proposal he had worked on so hard for months, that HAD BEEN APPROVED, now possibly will be withheld for several months. He's frustrated to say the least. Because of this, the funding for his dept. will be altered. Office politics. Enough said. It was his birthday, and as he worked outside, I was busy inside trying to get dinner ready, presents wrapped and a love letter written (which we always do for each other on special occasions... and not so special occasions. We like to add to our memory box)so we could have a nice relaxing night after his horrendous day. But more then that, I, had such a sense of protection. I wanted him to come in from the rain. To a place where it was warm, and safe and a place he knew he wouldn't be disappointed. I think our families are one of the few constants in our lives we can count on. (along with knowing our Father in Heaven is there for us). And I just wanted to make things better for him. As spouses, that's our job right ? When he finally came in and got showered and changed and sat on the couch to take a breath, he looked around, smiled his embarrassed smile when he saw the presents on the fireplace, and sank into the cushions in pure exhaustion. We had a nice dinner and he loved his presents. The Garlic roaster being his very favorite. A good ending to a bad day.

Later that evening and especially this morning, I've really been thinking about the little things in life that make "Living" so much more enjoyable. And how important it is to give thanks. Especially for the opportunity of coming home to a loving wife or husband, your family... and knowing, without doubt, that you can get through anything. That knowing, for so many of us, love IS enough. I have always had a hard time saying my prayers. Not because I didn't want to, or I wasn't grateful.. but because I'm lazy at night and always fall into bed first. Its then, that I remember... I just forgot to pray. So, many many times, I say my prayers laying on my back in bed. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten on my knees many times over years of my life, but again... I think saying my prayers has always been a struggle for me. But I notice that I say little prayers in my heart many times throughout the day. I honestly don't think it matters where or when we pray. He hears us and He knows our hearts. I don't care what Religion you are or even if you don't believe in Religion. Religion and spirituality are two different things. If you find a sense of spirituality when you are in nature, or running, or through meditation or writing or whatever... that's all that matters to me. I've opened my heart a lot over the years, and it doesn't' matter to me what you practice as long as you are trying to be a good person and lead a good life, and you treat others with respect. That is what matters the most to me... and I think God feels the same way. So I started jotting down some thoughts based on the painting above. Here is,

"Daily Bread"

Giving thanks
For much
In prayer
Whether it’s at the table
On our knees
Or simply in our hearts
He hears us
Our thoughts
And our needs
Never go unnoticed
Our lives are busy
Always going here and there
But if we could just stop
For a brief moment
Or in the still of the night
An be
Silent
Two small words
Thank you/thee
Say more
To Him
Then we know
His arms around us
Letting us know
We’re not alone
What comfort that brings
A sweet constant in our lives
He knows our hearts
He feels our pain
He senses our joy
And He’s there
Never forget
To acknowledge
And be thankful

Comments

Carolyn Hansen said…
What a beautiful painting. I love that one. Thanks for sharing such a thought provoking blog. We all could stand to voice our gratitude more often.
Anonymous said…
I forgot to tell you when you mentioned the painting earlier... my grandparents also had that picture hanging at their house, which is what drew my eye to it, too.
I know what you mean about feeling protective for your husband. If only everyone could know what we know about them...
I also think you are right to create that "sacred space" for him to come home to every night. Our homes ought to be places of grace, havens and refuges from the harshness of the outside world. I read an article once about how men are the "walls" of a home. They have to face the harsh elements every day to protect us. They are weathered and strong and supportive. Through their windows we see the world, but we are not harmed by it. The sides that face us are warm, attractive, and smooth. They insulate us and keep us comfortable and safe. One side faces inward, the other faces outward, and this is their calling. OUR calling is to appreciate them for it, to love them, to make those "inward places" a place where they are wanted and where they know they belong.
You are wise to see the truth of that, now, before your family grows. It's that kind of mutual love, respect and gratitude that will cement your family and give your kids a "leg up!"

Thank you for coming by, and for your sweet words. I consider myself blessed to have met you, and yes, it is something strange and wonderful to meet "kindred spirits" ... without meeting! :)
Jen
Kari said…
Amen .... beautifully written! Thanks for the many reminders you shared ;)
BethAnne said…
When I saw that picture, it so reminded me of my grandmothers house! It must have been a requirement that if you have grandchildren, you have to hang this picture in your dining room/kitchen OR maybe when kids were born they gave those pics to all the grandparents. Not sure how it happened but they all have it!
Sarah Markley said…
That picture was also in my grandparents' house in Northern Indiana. Wow.