Memory Lane...Part One...Lighthouses






(Josh at the top looking down at me)


(At the very top inside the lighthouse by the gorgeous reflectors)

A little history about Lighthouses: The lighthouse and its keeper is a romantic idea inspiring paintings, poems and songs. But, the best of all are the stories. Lighthouses were developed as a result of ships traveling on perilous waters, only to fall victim to rocks or unseen shoals. Before the lighthouse, ships tended to sail by day and near coasts. Natural landmarks, winds, currents and the use of the stars were the navigational aids to mariners. Some primitive maps and charts were used, which gave water depths measured by lead line and contemporary anchors on a rope. Some early cultures developed crude compasses and other devices to navigate. Fires lit on shore were first used, but were not very bright and needed to be tended. Egypt constructed a lighthouse on the Island of Pharos. A structure that was 130 meters high. The first beacons recorded in writing were built by the Greeks in the fifth and sixth centuries B.C.

Josh and I LOVE lighthouses! Obviously...we got married at one. We love how gorgeous they are and the stories and romance behind them. (I love and think about the romance part a little more then he does I'm sure). It's fascinating to me to think about people living in them and taking care of them so that they properly work to guide the ships in from sea. I thought I'd share some of the pictures from our honeymoon. We visited several of them along the Oregon Coast on our way to the countrysides of California. (and yes, I'm wearing the same sweater throughout our whole honeymoon. I was obsessed with that adorable sweater I had just ordered from Johnny Boden. (www.bodenusa.com). Their stuff is sooo cute... expensive but cute. It is the perfect FALL sweater)

Comments

Kari said…
*LOVE* the Boden catalog ... and Mini Boden (although I have yet to spoil myself with a purchase)!!! Their stuff is so cute ... especially their skirts and shoes :) The lighthouses are gorgeous along the OR coast!