Moments...


































 

We had a wonderful, relaxing Easter. Since we came back early from our camping trip/spring break, I was able to prepare a lovely breakfast and dinner. Which as you know is something that I love to do for my family. I cook with so much love put into the food for them. It was fun to watch the boys hunt for their baskets full of chocolate sweeties, and gorgeous new books. And then find the eggs that they had colored, outside, hidden by the "Easter Bunny". That rabbit even left mom and dad a basket full of truffles !  It amazes me that, even Noah still believes in the magic of things (Easter, Christmas etc). And I will keep his sweet little heart believing for as long as I can. I know someday, too soon, he will catch on and I am dreading that day. There is that sense innocence that is lost when they finally realize that it has been mom and dad doing all that work.  So, I just go right along with them and pretend. For breakfast I made our favorite blueberry coffeecake and a delish (but not figure friendly ) TATOR TOT casserole. Yes, that's right... the top was layered with tator tots. Hello !! It was to die for. Cheese, sausage, egg, ham, tator tots... all layered up on each other and baked until golden and delish. I wasn't sure if Josh was going to like it, but he said that it was a keeper. And then for dinner... I was off the hook. All I did was put some crescent rolls in the oven.  Josh smoked a beautiful rib roast and the asparagus. It was perfect. And for dessert... Grasshopper brownies. Brownies/ mint ganache and chocolate ganache. How can you go wrong with that :) . Couldn't ask for a better day with 3 sweetie pies. 

I've been thinking about those moments in our lives that make an impact. Just simple little moments that we know, as soon as they happen, we will always remember. One of those moments happened this weekend. They boys have quite a collection of those beautiful little wooden trucks by Melissa and Doug. I love those and will save them for when my sweet little grandchildren are running around our house. Wooden toys are classics. Anyway... Noah loves the show Highway through hell ( about tow trucks in Canada - oh that boy cracks me up ), and he got his little wooden trucks out and played pretend Highway Through Hell. He made "wrecks" all over the basement and would use his little "pipe cleaner" as the winching tow to rescue the cars/trucks that were in wrecks. He asked me to play with him and I happily got on the floor and played along. He and Liam are amazing at using their imaginations. I only allow them 2 days a week to be on the computer, and that is a school based website with learning games. So it is very refreshing to watch them both make up games and play with their toys and think and pretend instead of being glued to the TV and computer. We do not even own iPads or video games. I will hold off on all that for as long as I can. They both don't seem to need or want those things. (Well, Liam would love an iPad and his own computer, but that is clearly not going to happen for a long time ;) ) . While Noah and I played HTH, Liam was on the other side of the room playing with his dinosaurs. Asking me which one I wanted to win the battle, the plant eating Diplodocus or the meat eating Spinosaurus (I always root for the plant eater), and reading his book that gives every single detail you would ever want to know about every single dinosaur that ever was (best $20 we have ever spent on that kid). He is obsessed and wants to become a Paleontologist. Whatever these two boys of ours do, whether it be a professional golfer (Noah) or a Paleontolgoist (Liam), they will make their mummy and daddy very proud. We are raising good, kind hearted boys. And even on my worst days, where I have just been wicked to both of them... I know I am doing something right. This weekend, I added another "moment" to my memory. 

What are you obsessed with ? Anything ? I am. Besides books (duh!!), I am obsessed with birds and Carl Larrson, Josephine Grundy and Linda Nelson prints. The older I get, the more I love the look of folk art. I have some of Carl Larrson greeting cards, but I want to collect more of each other these artist. I'm trying to figure out who did this blueberry scone print. I love it. It just shouts "Scandinavian" to me. Which, Josh being Danish and all... I was bound to fall in love with right. I mean, Hygge ! Anyway...I started collecting birds for my mother years ago. She has her living room window sills lined with them. It looks so beautiful with their forest backyard as the back drop. I rarely buy them for myself (because I know I will inherit hers one day), but I love birds as much as she does. I have been wanting Josh's mom to make my mother a bird inspired quilt for years, and last year, I found the perfect fabric. She graciously sewed it for me and it is finally done. I'm going to give it to her ( along with some pillows for her bed ) this summer when we are all in Michigan with them. I'm also going to get several beautiful prints of birds framed (about 10 small 4X6 vintage looking frames.) Plus I have a beautiful gray and yellow wooden bird to add to her collection. The quilt has shades of yellow and gray. I can not wait to give her this wonderful gift. She will be so happy. Josh's mom makes us so many quilts and my mom has been begging for one for years. I was just waiting until I found the perfect fabric. (this huge gift will be a "late" mothers day/ her birthday surprise). I love making people I love happy. That will be another "moment" I never forget. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you seems not enough for such a wonderful post. Thank you for allowing me in. Thank you for allowing me to be a fly on the wall during Easter at your home. Thank you for protecting the innocence of your babies. Thank you for being obsessed with beautiful things. Thank you for remaining authentic to you. Thank you for loving your family with your whole heart. Thank you. I am better because of you!!