Vanity...

Vanity... but not what you think... I'm talking Vanity set !! (Brush, comb, mirror, talcum powder, 2 powder cases) For my birthday this year, my mom went to an auction the state had for a woman who passed away. The auction was held because her children could not agree on who could have what of their mothers. So... to be fair, an auction was held. To think of that makes my heart break. I would not want some stranger taking home things that my parents held dear to them. But.... I will do this poor, sweet ( I imagine in my mind that she was sweet and beautiful and dainty ), proud by displaying her beautiful vanity set and treasuring it until I am old. My mother saw this and fought tooth and nail and was not going to be outbid by anyone... even the woman's children. She knew how much I would LOVE these pieces. And she was right ! It was my favorite birthday present this year. Being the romantic and sentimental person I am, I like to envision the life this set has had. How the previous owners must have felt so special for having these pieces to help make them feel more beautiful. How, every night they must have brushed their hair before going to bed and looked at themselves in the mirror making sure they looked just right before heading out the door for a night on the town w/ their love. Now, I just need to find the perfect mirror/platter to put them all on. And maybe one day I will find a vanity dresser to paint and refurbish to put in my room. I hope and pray that my boys will marry girls who are as sentimental as me ( if that's possible ), and they will find the things that I have loved and treasured just as special as I did after I am gone.
                                     
                                     

Comments